Friday, March 14, 2008

A modge podge of things...

First off, I finished Before Green Gables, which was a wonderful book. I haven't been able to read a book through in a long time due to stress, but this book was so easy to get into and allowed me to escape into Anne's world for a brief time each evening. I am now ready to reread the original series to see how well the author did of capturing the "true Anne".

Sunday, we went to the church Easter egg hunt. I was grateful that we buy all of the girls' clothes used since they got filthy after the hayride (the tractor was covered in mud). During the egg hunt, Taylor took some of the eggs that the girls found and rehid them for some of the kids who didn't have as many. I was really proud that he was that thoughtful. The girls got their faces painted as a kitty cat and a puppy dog. They had a trampoline, games, snacks, and pony rides. It was a lot of fun.

My second week as director ended with me exhausted. We had a wonderful Easter party for all the children.
We had Easter stories, both the bunny kind and the "true Easter story". We dyed Easter eggs, painted salt dough crosses the children had made and baked the day before, and each child got their faces painted (by moi).
We ate lunch and sang chapel songs, then we went outside for the Easter egg hunt (the eggs were filled with gold coins which the children exchanged at the end of the party for a goody bag filled with candy and treats). I tried not to include pictures that would show other children. After the hunt we had a party complete with parachute games, bubble blowing, snacks and treats. I sent the teachers home afterwards and cleaned up alone. It took forever and I was exhausted. So much so that I cried last night to my dh that I just didn't think I could do this. He did his best to encourage me, because honestly we really need the money right now. I am hoping to just fulfill my commitment through the end of summer, then come home and hopefully homeschool the girls. I am essentially doing so now, though I am not doing it at home and I am also schooling the other 7 children in class.

Taylor is doing well in track. He came in 3rd in his first race at the first meet (he's in blue), but last in his second race. I spent the entire time before the meet preaching to him and his fellow teammates, that it takes no character be the fastest, but it takes lots of character to finish when you are last. The fastest runner won't necessarily be the most successful in life, but the one with the best character will be. I think Tay heard me. He clapped and cheered for the last runner in every race, and kept a good spirit even after finishing last in his race. Some days I find him intolerable and on others he can be such a joy. I guess that is part of being a teen.

I have a small brag that I don't think I posted about yet. He was one of twenty students from the entire school invited to a writer's workshop last week. He was chosen by his GRC teacher (gifted class) for his skill in writing. I was really encouraged to hear someone else recognize his ability to write. He hates to read fiction and hates to write essays, but he really gets into writing fiction. When he has to turn in 2 pages, he will write 10.

Things are really tough since I have turned over all the money dealings to dh. We don't exactly see eye to eye on what is important enough to spend money on. Currently I have to call and ask whenever I spend money. It makes me frustrated. I hope that he loosens up a bit when things become less tight. I had to get some white sandals for the girls for Easter. He wanted the cheapest, but they had a tiny heel and were open toe-$4 each. I thought they looked a little grown for them. Since I made a profit on the garage sale (sold more than I spent), he let me get the slightly more expensive ones for them with a flat heel and closed toe (perfect to wear with lacy socks on Sunday morning) $12 each. It was really hard walking through Target with no money to spend. I saw a pretty skirt for me for only $10, but I didn't even call. Maybe he will take me shopping this weekend and I can find a couple of things since spring weather is upon us (when it doesn't schizophrenically switching to freezing). I only started wearing skirts/dresses only in September, so 90% of my dresses/skirts are fall and winter. I haven't worked a real job since 2001, so I really had no need for dresses/skirts since then. Oddly enough, dh just realized that I was skirts/dresses only. It wasn't something I discussed with him. And he only noticed because he felt I was "outdressing" him.

I am looking forward to Spring Break next week. I will be able to get some hours in at work, but without all the other children(my kids, of course will come and help me), so maybe I can get the place into shape before school gets back. I am most excited about the bookcase I bought so that I can organize the school's workbooks and storybooks. Maybe after this week, I will get things so organized that it won't be so hard on me. The point was made that I was really taking over for two people who didn't do their job since the previous 4k teacher hadn't really been teaching the kids much and the previous director had let everything go (and I do mean everything- she didn't check the voice mail two weeks before she quit)- the previous director taught the babies which is infinitely less work than teaching 4k. I am going to get off the computer now and get this house in order. I suspect dh will want quesadillas again tonight so I need to be ready. He is taking ds to OmegaCon this weekend and I am hoping he will let me take the girls to see "Horton Hears a Who"- we have read the book twice this week at school during storytime. I also need to start one of our new books I just got for the girls and I to read together (by exchanging a book I bought earlier that was the wrong book)- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh and The Tale of Despereaux (there is a mouse theme here). I also have a week's worth of Bible study lessons to complete since I am totally behind (I am doing Beth Moore's Breaking Free study). Adios!

0 gentle comments: