Friday, March 28, 2008

Ugh! Soccer mom I am not!

I feel like a "soccer mom". Someone once said that being referred to as a soccer mom isn't a compliment. I actually didn't know that. I actually thought it was an aspiration of every suburban mom to be a "soccer mom." I did know that I didn't want to be one - basically a chauffeur shuffling your kids from activity to activity. I have done it while we were homeschooling and it was a miserable semester. I got convinced by the emotional saboteurs in my life that Tay needed more socialization. Wrong, wrong, wrong! But it bought me a semester of exhaustion.

This week, I went back to work after Spring Break (being interim director and 4k teacher for my church's small mdo). I have been thrilled to see the kids again. I do love them like they are extended family. I do love teaching my own dds. I do not love the millions of admin duties nor do I love dealing with adults who act like children. I am tired from the emotional draining that comes with working out of the house at a fast pace surrounded by children who are not my own. It drains me.

To top it off, Tay has had track practice two days this week and a track meet one day. I kept my nephew 3 days instead of the normal 2 since his mom/my sil was trying to get ready for his party. And Tay and I are in the church play (which is to raise money for missions) and have had rehearsals every night this week. Not to mention, dh was out of town one night this week. Lastly, I like a dummy, got suckered into keeping nursery for the mother's group (of course this means I am with my girls) because they never have enough nursery help. I don't know what lapse of judgment I had in committing to any of this, much less all of this, but I clearly don't make wise decisions.

Today I worked nursery, had to come home and bathe the dog and her crate because she had diarrhea from the meat dh fed her against my pleas, had to get the girls ready for their first Upward Soccer practice (daddy is the coach) tonight, had to get Tay's and my costume/makeup/hair stuff ready for tonight and as soon as Tay gets home, we leave to go to the church to get ready for the show. Dh will pick up the girls from church to go to soccer.

It is also my nephew's birthday today and I haven't even started making his gift (a mickey mouse height chart) for his party on Sunday. But I did purchase a mirror since I will be doing face painting for his party.

I sound very much like a person I am not.

I just want to stay home, read my Bible, teach my girls, clean my house, etc. so why do I keep making choices that are counterproductive to that goal.

0 gentle comments: