Monday, March 17, 2008

Spring Clean 2008 Day 1

Today I have to tackle the car and my part of the garage. The car is just filthy and in desperate need of a hard scrubbing more inside than out. The garage is just cluttered with my stuff from the garage sale and it needs to be moved to the attic, since the garage is dh's space and needs to be returned to him.

I do have to finish cleaning the upstairs carpets since sil wants her carpet cleaner machine back today. So that is task 1, then the van (since that also uses the cleaner), then the garage. Meanwhile I have my nephew with us today, and ds is out of school for spring break, so I have 4 kids racing about my feet while I get this done. Tabby is running a fever, probably from one of the millions of viruses running about at church. All this amongst my normal chores and I cannot even get my Bible study done. I am currently following Anna's suggestion of writing the Bible out by hand. I try to do a chapter a day, but almost never accomplish it. I am in 1 Corinthians 14 today. Plus I have to do my daily work on my Beth Moore study. And pray.

Here is the before of the van (the outside got a good cleaning last week so I didn't tackle it):
My dh makes me keep it tidy, but it is usually filthy.

And here is the after:
I took out the mats and shampoo'd them. I vacuumed everywhere. I cleaned the seats with upholstery cleaner and sprayed down the entire van with lysol. Then I sprayed and wiped down all the plastic parts and put the removable trays through the dishwasher.

Not much difference that you can tell, but it smells way better. I had a number of catastrophes happen while trying to clean. The carpet cleaning machine was lacking one piece to do upholstry so I just ended up getting water and some dog hair (spit out by the machine - sil and bro have two Westies that really shed) on the seat and floor. I ended up using some Woolite fabric cleaner and a sponge. I also used Glass Plus all over the plastic parts, but the spray nozzle broke and I just had to drizzle it everywhere. Most of the time I was cleaning I kept poking my head up and yelling, "Where's Harper?" or "No, Harper!" at my nephew. A two year old can be quite a challenge to clean with.

Meanwhile we started a new batch of egg salad as we ate the last bit we had left for lunch (we made some last weekend with the eggs we dyed at school and it has been a big hit at lunch around here). Notice anything off about the stamp on these eggs we got last week? "Best by Apr 04" I hope that was a mistake or we might all die from this batch of egg salad.

Tab was finally feeling better so she came out to join us. Then the girls worked together to teach Tabby how to ride a two wheeler to "surprise Daddy".

I still haven't tackled the garage. I have too much daily stuff left to do. I think I will have to work that in tomorrow, since the day is almost up. BTW, sil forgot to pack extra clothes or wipes so poor Harps is half naked and has been wiped with wet paper towels all day. Sigh...

3 gentle comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Job!!! You have inspired me to get my van.....as soon as it stops raining!!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Great job on cleaning out your car! Usually they don't include the year on eggs I think - it is just the month and day - so those would have been good eggs! :)

Lara said...

I did have to mention that I feel like a dummy for not realizing that was the day, not the year, but my normal brand of eggs does put the full date, month, day and year on the package. So maybe I was just having a mommy brain moment...